Ortho Home Defense is best known for killing nasty pests indoors, such as bugs, termites, and carpet beetles. However, does Ortho Home Defense kill bed bugs and finally give you a good night’s rest?
We’ve researched and compiled everything you need to know about Ortho Home Defense – from its ingredients, effectivity, and how you can use it.
- Can Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer Get Rid of Bed Bugs?
- What is Ortho Home Defense?
- What’s the Active Ingredient in This Bed Bug Killer?
- How To Use It
- Is Ortho Home Defense Really Effective?
- What Can It Kill Aside From Bed Bugs?
- Do’s & Don’ts When Using Ortho Home Defense
- Key Takeaways
Can Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer Get Rid of Bed Bugs?
Yes, Ortho Home Defense may be effective in eliminating bed bugs. If you’ve already tried everything and the home remedies to get rid of bed bugs didn’t work, another alternative is a chemical treatment like the Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer. This chemical solution effectively kills indoor and outdoor insects in as fast as 24 hours.
Discovered centuries ago, bed bugs are nocturnal parasites that feed on human and animal blood . These insects can live for months even without feeding on blood. Once they have found a food source, bed bugs will continuously feed on their host and reproduce.
If you’ve already tried everything and the home remedies to get rid of bed bugs didn’t work, another alternative is a chemical treatment like the Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer. This chemical solution effectively kills indoor and outdoor insects in as fast as 24 hours.
What is Ortho Home Defense?
Ortho Home Defense is a chemical product designed to kill insects that invade homes, from ants to bed bugs. The solution contains an active ingredient that can kill pyrethroid-resistant bed bugs and their eggs, which are the most difficult to eradicate.
Through Ortho Home Defense, you can ensure that your home is protected from insect infestation by spot treating the areas they hide in, such as bed frames, mattresses, baseboards, cracks, and crevices. Also, it doesn’t only eradicate insect problems but acts as a barrier to keep them out of your home.
What’s the Active Ingredient in This Bed Bug Killer?
Ortho Home Defense contains Bifenthrin. This active ingredient is a neurotoxin and insecticide, directly affecting insects’ nervous systems and killing them. In short, once bed bugs get in contact with Bifenthrin, they will eventually die.
While bed bugs don’t spread disease to humans, their bites are irritating and itchy, which may cause insomnia or lack of sleep . This means that eradicating your bed bug problem is necessary before it worsens.
If you’ve tried many solutions to get rid of bed bugs and none of them works, the Ortho Home Defense is very efficient as it contains a generous amount of Bifenthrin.
How To Use It
If you’re to treat a bed bug problem or eliminate insects infesting your home, follow the steps below on how to use Ortho Home Defense indoors:
- Identify the infected areas.
- Shake the product well before applying.
- Place the spray nozzle into an indoor setting.
- Hold the sprayer 12 inches from the surfaces needed to be treated.
- Apply the product in a 4-inch band in the interior of your home, where insects are commonly found.
- Spray the product until slightly wet but not soaking.
For outdoor application, follow the steps above but apply a 12-inch band on the exterior perimeter of your home, especially on areas where insects are commonly found.
Is Ortho Home Defense Really Effective?
Yes, Ortho Home Defense is effective as it contains an active chemical that instantly kills insects. However, the product’s effect may vary depending on what type of insect you’re trying to eliminate. In addition, the proper application should be considered since it can affect the product’s efficacy.
If you’re applying the product a bit far away from infected areas, it may not completely kill insects. Temperature and weather should also be considered during application as they can lessen the effect of the chemical once diluted by rain or burned by direct sunlight.
- Will Dry Cleaning Prevent Bed Bugs?
- What’s Our Recommended Bed Bug Exterminator?
- What’s the Cost of an Orkin Bed Bug Treatment?
What Can It Kill Aside From Bed Bugs?
Since Ortho Home Defense is created to protect homes from infestation, it can kill other insects such as Eastern Sprucegall Adelgids, ants, aphids, bees, beetles, borers, Boxelder bugs, Bristletails, caterpillars, centipedes, and Hairy and Southern Chinch bugs.
Furthermore, it can eradicate different types of cockroaches, cat and dog fleas, flies, fungus gnats, grasshoppers, hornets, lace bugs, leaf-footed squash bugs, leafhoppers, leafrollers, mealybugs, midges, millipedes, mites, mole crickets, mosquitoes, moths, plant bugs, scorpions, ticks, termites, wasps, yellowjackets, and more.
Do’s & Don’ts When Using Ortho Home Defense
- Apply around bed frames, headboards, floors, carpet, baseboards, furniture, walls, molding, and ceilings.
- Moist the tufts, edges, folds, seams, and sides for an infested mattress.
- Spot treat luggage, closets, drapes, windows, and wall appointments.
- Apply on pets sleeping areas, beds, carpets, floor, and floor covers.
- Apply on entry points, including doors, windows, and water pipes.
- Do not mop or wipe the treated areas.
- Do not move treated clothing or furniture to prevent the spread of bed bug infestation.
- Do not spray near electrical equipment due to shock hazards.
- Do not spray on areas where humans often stay.
- Do not spray to bed linens or areas where humans will have direct contact.
- Do not use it as a broadcast spray.
- Do not apply to humans and animals.
How long does it take Ortho to kill bed bugs?
While the Bifenthrin is known to kill insects in as fast as 24 hours, Ortho Home Defense should be applied for 2-4 treatment sessions in 3-6 weeks to eliminate bed bugs completely. However, it may take longer than this, depending on the severity of the infestation.
How long does Ortho Home Defense for bed bugs last?
Ortho Home Defense offers a specific chemical product to kill bed bugs for up to 16 weeks if applied to ceramic areas.
How often should you use Ortho Home Defense?
Applying it after 3 months for re-treatment is recommended if you use Ortho Home Defense. The Ortho Home Defense chemical products should be used as a preventive treatment or if insects are recurring in certain areas for long-lasting protection. Learn how to prepare for a bed bug treatment here.
If you’re into DIY treatment, the Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer chemical product is a great alternative solution to eliminate and prevent bed bug infestation. This is a step-up treatment solution if your bed bug problem is still controllable.
However, if your home has a severe bed bug infestation, the chemical products will only cost you more money and time, making you even more frustrated. So, if you wish to eliminate bed bugs in your home completely, it is ideal to ask for help from pest control experts.
Alene Schill is a property manager from Columbus, Ohio, who has dealt with numerous pest control agencies. She helps families find the perfect homes and knows very well that bed bugs are an ultimate deal-breaker. She enjoys cycling around Scioto Mile during her spare time.