Moving Tips - don’t take bed bugs with you!
The Central Ohio Bed Bug Task Force recommends that you consult with a licensed pest management professional before moving.
Moving is NOT likely to eliminate your bed bug problem. In fact, it’s very likely you will take them with you. If you must move to a new home before your bed bug infestation has been eliminated, follow these tips:
- Wash all fabric items on the hottest recommended setting, dry on high for at least 30 minutes and then seal them tightly in clear plastic bags labeled “Clean”. (Welllabeled and sealed garbage bags or rubber tubs with lids work also.)
- Put items that cannot be washed and dried (electronics, appliances) inside sealed clear plastic bags and include Nuvan Prostrips™, available through pest management companies or online. Nuvan Prostrips™ release a vapor in enclosed spaces that kills bed bugs – follow provided instructions. Items may need to remain completely enclosed with the strips for two weeks to one month.
- Buy fabric, bed bug-proof covers for each mattress and box springs in the house. Get the bed off of the floor and onto a frame. Put ClimbUp Interceptors under the bed legs. Covers and interceptors are available at retail stores.
- If you decide to throw away infested furniture or mattresses, wrap them in plastic and clearly paint or write “Bed Bugs” on them, so neighbors won’t bring the items into their homes.
- Furniture: remove and pack the contents of the furniture in sealed containers. The empty furniture should then be treated by a licensed pest management professional before moving.
- If a licensed professional is not an option, thoroughly vacuum furniture, including all cracks and crevices. Then, steam clean items with a hand-held steamer or wash with hot, soapy water. After vacuuming, put vacuum bag in a sealed bag and dispose of outside your home.
People and Pets:
- Have each person shower and change into clean clothing and shoes and then bag up the current (possibly infested) clothes and shoes for laundering. Make sure that any pet bedding also is laundered. Be sure to disinfect any pet carrier.
- Before personal belongings are taken in to the the new home, they MUST be free of bed bugs, or the new home will become infested as well.
- If you acquire any new or used furniture, inspect it carefully before bringing it into your home to make sure it is bug free.
- Contact your building manager immediately if you notice any signs of bed bugs in your new home. The earlier an infestation is detected, the easier it will be to treat.