How do I avoid/prevent bed bugs?
You can encounter bed bugs almost anywhere including where you shop, work, go to school and vacation. Remember, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure – so take a few simple steps to help prevent an infestation.
- Bed bugs can enter homes by latching onto your clothing, shoes and bags. Used furniture, luggage and backpacks are great hiding places for bugs as well. Bed bugs can also travel along connecting pipes and wiring from one room or apartment to another.
- Never bring bed frames, mattresses, box springs or upholstered furniture found on the street into your home. (No dumpster diving!)
- Check all used or rented furniture for bed bugs. For more info, check out thrift store tips
- When traveling, inspect the bed and furniture. Keep suitcases off the floor and bed, and inspect them before you leave. See travel tips
- If you suspect you have been around bed bugs, immediately wash your clothing on hot settings and dry on the high heat setting for at least 30 minutes after the items are dry or store items in a sealed plastic bag until you can.
- Seal cracks and crevices with caulk, even if you don’t have bed bugs. This will help prevent bed bugs and other pests from coming in.
Tips for Travelers
Bed bugs have become a commonplace pest throughout the United States. You can come in contact with them anywhere, but be especially careful when you travel. This does not mean that you should not…
Tips for shopping at thrift stores and garage sales
Bed bugs are back in central Ohio with a vengeance! And they don’t care if you drive a Porsche or a Pinto. Bring home bed bugs, and you get more than you bargained…
Moving Tips – don’t take bed bugs with you!
Moving is NOT likely to eliminate your bed bug problem. In fact, it’s very likely you will take them with you. If you must move to a new home before your bed bug infestation has been…
Minimizing an Infestation
The Central Ohio Bed Bug Task Force highly recommends that you consult with a licensed pest management professional. A licensed pest professional may be able to sell you over-the-counter products and offer…